1. General regulations
- All library’s full-time staff and service-contract staff are required to follow this regulation while working at the library.
- During implementation, if any unreasonable problems are detected, professional and paraprofessional library staff must immediately notify their direct supervisors or library director to propose correction and updating.
2. Regulations on collection development and management
2.1 Collection Acquisition
|Material selection for acquisition/renewal (Content scopes, language, formats, and updates)
|– Library director will decide on material selection for acquisition/renewal based on:
– No materials that contain images of the cow’s tongue line map or any content that go against the political principles of the Vietnamese Communist Party and Government will be collected.
|Request Form (Form 1)
|Quantity of acquired materials
|Based on the available formats and electronic access-related policies, the necessity of materials for courses or research activities, and the approved budget, the library director will decide on the number of materials to be acquired with consideration that:
|All acquisition activities must follow VinUni’s Regulations on the Management of Procurement of Goods and Services
|Materials/gifts donation acquisition
|The Library Gift Agreement (Form 02)
|Donated material cataloging and technical processing
|Each donor’s total number of donated items can be checked in the Alma/Primo system.
2.3. Internal process for collection
|Technical processing & shelving for physical materials
|Electronic material activation and provision
|All library staff are required to test the accesses to electronic resources.
|Print material repair
|The Book Repair Booklet is in Form 3
|Weeding of the physical resources
|– All physical materials withdrawn from the collection should be stamped as “discarded”.
– Criteria for weeding includes, but are not limited to, the following:
– The process of weeding will be consistent with VinUni’s Asset Management Process
|As custodians of the collection, circulation/shelving library staff are responsible for material weeding
3. Regulations on library service delivery and management
The library shall establish, promote, and sustain quality services that will facilitate teaching, learning and research for all students, faculty, and staff members of the VinUni, visiting scholars and selected VinGroup community and partners.
3.1 Information services
- Information service staff must be familiar with the library’s information desk manual, regulations, and the usage of library resources of all formats before staffing the information desks.
- Information service staff must announce library’s sudden closure if any on library website, library entrances and via official emails to library’s user community; put up a sign with their contact phone number when leaving the information desk for an extended period (e.g., bathroom visit, personal emergency) of over 5 minutes.
- Users will wait no longer than five minutes at the information desks when the desks are open.
- Library staff should not arbitrarily disclose users’ information regarding to their personal information, information sought or received, and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired, or transmitted.
- Library staff are not allowed to arbitrarily alter user’s circulation transaction information in Alma system.
- 100% of physical items returned will be reshelved within 24 hours.
- 100% of users’ ready-to-answer inquiries are answered and/or resolved within 04 working hours. Complicated questions that require leadership’s approvals should be acknowledged within 02 working hours; completed answers for them must be delivered to users within 04 working hours from the approval time.
- Library’s official emails must be used when contacting with patrons.
3.2 Educational services
The Library shall provide the following educational services for targeted users:
|Library orientation: Guiding patrons to use facilities, services, and resources (including library walking tours)
|Information skills workshops: Introduce to the research process, the use of subscribed resources, and popular online databases.
|Students by requests
|Course-specific instruction: collaborate with faculty to deliver instructions to specific subjects including research skills to students based around a research topic
|Research consultation: one on one research help; literature searches, citation searches, statistical data searches, and copyright.
|Students and faculty
Library staff are required to:
- Use accurate and the most updated information in all users’ educational sessions.
- For workshops, seminars, or orientations, develop a plan for educational contents and activities that are approved by library director in advance.
- Develop and regularly update “Frequently Asked Questions” page, libguides on the library’s website.
- Get feedback from users at the end of each educational service session.
3.3 Learning environment services
- Any changes in the layout of the library facilities, library infrastructure, equipment, and decoration should be approved by VinUni leaders as regulated in the Document of Authorization (DOA).
- During working hours, library staff should ensure patrons using library space and physical facility comply with library regulations, take minutes for later /penalties on students found to have violated the library regulations pursuant to “Student code of conduct and disciplinary policy and procedures”.
3.4 User account services
- Registered user accounts with eligible requests via online Account Registration Form should be created, renewed, or deactivated based on the approval of VinUni leaders ( according to the DOA). The account creation should be finished and announced to approved users within 02 working days since request time.
- Library staff should cooperate with VinUni Information Technology (IT) department to create VinUni library accounts for eligible registered users.
- Requested accounts will expire after 01 year and will be automatically renewed for one year on the expire date for eligible users.
- Library staff will work with IT department to send validation emails to registered users twice a year to make sure their eligible status.
- After 02 years, all the deactivated accounts will be removed permanently.
4. Regulations on management of library technology systems and facilities
- Library’s official emails must be used in the management of all library technology systems and applications.
- Checklists of equipment/facilities evaluation must be recorded every day to make sure all library equipment, self-service facilities will be in proper working order and cleaned before users’ usage.
- The operation and maintenance activities (cleaning, update, troubleshooting and repairing of machinery and equipment) must comply with producers’ recommendations and user manuals. Disassembling, moving or bring equipment out of the library arbitrarily without permission from library director are not allowed.
- Library staff must report to VinUni Operation Department and library director immediately if any equipment has been found stolen.
- Library key management:
- Library staff in charge of library entrance keys should open/close the library 05 minutes before the regulated open time and close 05 minutes after the regulated close time in their working shift/day. Opening/closing the library at any other time must be approved by library director.
- Staff working in library office must be responsible for their office keys. Information service staff must be responsible for other functional rooms’ keys. Keys must be returned to the library on the last working day of staff at the library without delay.
- All the back-up keys must be kept at the circulation desk.
Please refer to the Library Regulations for Users HERE